Topic: xajax and PHP versions?

I've been asked to do some work on a PHP project which uses xajax 0.5, running on PHP 5.2.6.  I'm hoping to get the existing branch running on a newer PHP version, and I wanted to know if there is a good source of info on problems?

I've done a quick initial check running under PHP 5.3.8.  There were a couple of deprecation warnings related to assigning the return value of new by reference, which were mentioned somewhere around here.  I deleted the "&"s, and superficially that should fix that.  The project starts up, and at least one of the simple xajax calls works, although I haven't exercised the program much. 

Is there any reason to believe that xajax 0.5 isn't going to work okay under PHP 5.3?  I don't think it is doing anything ambitious with the library, but I have no xajax experience before this.

I also tried PHP 5.4.6, but the non-xajax code was throwing so many complaints I don't know if xajax will play nice or not.  Once I've cleaned up the project I'll try again.

Re: xajax and PHP versions?

Hi,

I use v0.5 with php v5.3.10 with no problems.

As to the deprecation notices, your fix is what we all do.

Havn't gotten a copy of php 5.4 so cant respond to that...

Ed

Edit: I got hold of a new copy of the wamp server with php 5.4 . Xajax 0.6 works ok but not 0.5.

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Ah, good.  0.5 doesn't pass E_STRICT even under 5.2.6, so I thought some of that might be involved in my quick 5.4 test.

What is the state of the 0.6 code?  I assume this is the head of the GitHub repository I've seen out there?  It looks like it was started a couple of years back, been dormant, and briefly revived this spring.  Can that be dropped into an existing xajax project without any significant problems?

Out of curiosity, was 0.5 just throwing additional deprecations and stuff under 5.4, or did it seem like there was more serious breakage?  I've got 5.4.6 on my OSX box at home, and I'll try it again sometime when I have a chance.

As far as I know the devs are working on 0.6. Havn't heard from them lately...

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

I'm running xajax 0.5 on a php 5.4.13 production server with no problems.  I'm not really using any advanced features though... my xajax functions only use assign(), script(), call(), alert(), and setReturnValue().  I can at least confirm that those functions work on php 5.4.

Thanks for the input...

Ed