Topic: Development - maybe

Hi All,

I am in contact with one of the original xajax developers (CtC) regarding the future of xajax.

Here are some questions from him:

"Where do you want to see the project move?  You want to see a .6 release?  Want to have better support in terms of answering questions?   Implement more built in features?  A pre-built library of ready to use components?

I hope you don't mind the questions... I'm just interested in your vision and to know what the community is looking for."

And my response:

"No problem with questions...

I, and a lot of others, would like to see a .6 release more than anything. Seems a lot of users are skittish when it's called a beta release. I have no problem with it.

Personally, I do not see a need for more features. Eventually things will get out of hand and the "footprint" will become huge and require full time support. Too many want to make it a "framework" of sorts. I am retired now and have a lot of time but, like I said earlier, I'm not too comfortable with the jq code. Perhaps the server side.

The pre-built components never seemed to gain a large following.

There have been several calls for the return of the AIO library that combined everything into one file.

The thing is that a lot of people think the project is dead and are looking for something else to replace xajax.

Everyone realizes that keeping a project like this going requires a lot of effort. Realizing that this will draw flames, maybe there should be a small price on it to motivate development.

Perhaps I will post on the forum calling for feature requests."

Your input?

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Re: Development - maybe

I am using .6 beta 1 in production environments, though I do get asked by my management about its supportability.  I agree that xajax doesn't really need any more features, we have added our own wrappers and functionality using a combination of xajax and YUI3. 

If there is no more development, maybe the answer is to clone into our our repositories and maintain ourselves.

xajax is a wonderful product and it needs much wider acceptance.

Hello,

Thanks for the input.

I think your ideas may be the thing to do...

Ed

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Hi,

I'm using xajax in production too, version 0.5.
The idea behind xajax is in my opinion excellent, and yes, I want to see a next release!
I'm using xajax consequently within my OO projects, so in the meantime I found a way, for example, to change the PHP code to register only methods I want when using XAJAX_CALLABLE_OBJECT.
That's really cool for me and it was really easy to change the code.

But - I would have no time beside family and so on to get working on GIT, that's would be the problem.

I am using Xajax in development environment on several sites of the company I work for.

I would like to see that this project continues to be developed. Its ease of use is a power of it.

What exactly would be needed to accelerate development? Feedback? Developers?

Definitely would like to see things move to a stable .6 release, although I've found .5 excellent and have been using it in a production environment for a number of years..  No real need for more features for me other than getting rid of deprecated PHP functionality.  Having a couple issues relating to debug on the .6 beta 1 release and path issues and possible calling script that works fine in .5 but not in .6 beta 1.  As soon as I have some hard, traceable issues I will be happy to share and help out where I can.

hi to all,
this framework is the best of all. we would like to see this project continues to be develeoped. no need to add new features to the project only getting rid of deprecated functions. lots of my project based on this project and working perfect. all user ready for the accelerate the development.

I support this project, it's very practical and skilled... I also would like to keep this project alive!
And thank you for all your effort until now!

I would help to keep this alive as well.  What ya say guys?

I use XAJAX extensively because it does what no other toolkit does, but I'm coming under increasing pressure because of it's apparent lack of support.  While it does everything that I need it too, without at least the appearance of activity and support, I'm going to be forced to abandon it by my management. We really need to get this back alive!

I just starting to discover xajax ...
I found the project when I was googling for a class to cut down on the javascript overhead one needs to write (copy/paste) when using ajax.
I think it has potential, but a version 0.6 final would be nice with JSON as a stable form of communication between the different parts.

Hello All,

Thanks for your posts in the ajax-project.org forums.

I used xajax a LOT back in the .5 days, and I'm about to try out the current beta, thanks to the encouragement of seeing your posts in the forums. A short time of playing with jQuery for ajax use makes my eyes bleed, so I'm really hoping xajax is still viable!

Are you guys still using it?

Best regards,

Jason Ziegler
http://twitter.com/zigmoo

Now that xajax-project.org is back up... any replies?

I'm still here!

I'm still here too. What would everyone want to see in the way of development? I might be willing to take a crack at some enhancement or addition.

Ed

I'm still here too, and actively using it in all my projects at a large local government council in the UK.

The one feature I've never cracked (but didn't put too much time into), is HTML history (back button). i.e. when the page is updated via xajax a number of times, a new page is opened, but when the user clicks back is shows the original page. So, a nice inbuilt function to easily create history would be nice - unless there is already an easy solution available these days, as haven't checked for a while.

It would be nice for version 0.6 to be officially launched, instead of using  a beta version.

And with version 7 of PHP coming soon, it would be good to have some assurances of xajax compatability.

Jon

My WebHost (RackSpace) has announced that they will be upgrading servers to PHP 5.6 from 5.3.  I have been getting Deprecation warning messages that I have been suppressing with no ill effects.  I'm worried, though, that the move to 5.6 will break my site.  I am currently using XAJAX 0.5. Has it been tested with PHP 5.6?  Should I upgrade to the XAJAX 0.6 Beta?  Should I abandon XAJAX altogether and go with JQuery? 

Somebody please tell me that my fears are unfounded!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't think 0.5 has been formally tested with php 5.6 but it seems to work with a few easily fixed deprecation messages. As for 0.6 you should just try it. I believe a lot of people are using it in production but I can't speak for php 5.6.

I would hope you stay with xajax instead of going to jQuery. Accomplishing everything xajax does with jQuery seems to be a hassle.

Ed

Hi Mark,

I don't think 0.5 has been formally tested with php 5.6 but it seems to work with a few easily fixed deprecation messages. As for 0.6 you should just try it. I believe a lot of people are using it in production but I can't speak for php 5.6.

I would hope you stay with xajax instead of going to jQuery. Accomplishing everything xajax does with jQuery seems to be a hassle.

Ed

Hi,
  I'm using with php 5.5.
  If you find any problem with php 5.6 please report so we can take a look.
  Also this (update) is something we could take a look to make updates on xajax.

Best Regards,
Guilherme

Hi

I use Xajax 0.6 with PHP 5.6.   Also just moving to PHP7.0.3 with some very minor issues - so far, it seems fine.

It is so much easier to exploit ajax with xajax than JQuery, particularly where there is a large mix of $objResponse->script
mixed in with the DOM manipulations.

At the risk of sounding boring - would like to see a Xajax7 (or Xajax 0.7) to go along with PHP7

regards
Phil

Hi,

I think the developers should now be brave enough to release a 0.6 stable version. To keep a version as beta over decade is not appropriate. Most of the bugs should have been reported in the last five years. At some time, the developers must come forward bravely and declare that there are no bugs any more i.e. in other words we paid attention to known bugs.

Hi,
I've contributed some changes I made to the Xajax library for some projects I've worked on https://github.com/lagdo/xajax-core.

My first intention was to make it the next version of Xajax, but after a while I found out that the best thing to do was to take the project to another direction.
So I forked Xajax https://github.com/jaxon-php/jaxon-core. The website of the new library is still under conctruction https://www.jaxon-php.org.

architekt_berlin wrote:

Hi,

I think the developers should now be brave enough to release a 0.6 stable version. To keep a version as beta over decade is not appropriate. Most of the bugs should have been reported in the last five years. At some time, the developers must come forward bravely and declare that there are no bugs any more i.e. in other words we paid attention to known bugs.

24 (edited by architekt_berlin 2016-07-05 9:10:33 AM)

Hello thierry.feuzeu,

thierry.feuzeu wrote:

Hi,
I've contributed some changes I made to the Xajax library for some projects I've worked on https://github.com/lagdo/xajax-core.

My first intention was to make it the next version of Xajax, but after a while I found out that the best thing to do was to take the project to another direction.
So I forked Xajax https://github.com/jaxon-php/jaxon-core. The website of the new library is still under conctruction https://www.jaxon-php.org.

As I am not a programmer, but a user with some basic knowledge on servers and php, I cannot contribite to projects like xajax or yourself.

My sincere wishes to you for making your fork successful.

If you are interested in what I suggested, I would be happy to explain or work togather.

I began to use 2.5 xajax and used to generate a dependent drop down of countries states and cities. After upgrades of xajax, I could not make all the changes as things began complicated. Thus, I needed to abandon this in the login area.

Now, this is a fundamental need of many users to have some kind of dependent dropdowns.

If you could work on this and offer some default dropdown on Countries, states and cities to be pulled out from a mysql database, I would be the first to use it.

This could thus get into as a default.

A brilliant thing is to accept requests from people like me and keep on including such things like a standard READY-TO-GO examples. This saves such a lot of time in something basics and allows admins to make some customizations from that ready made solutions.

If you make a fork, people will have even less trust as compared to xajax. But if you keep on offering such standard READY-TO-GO examples, many of them, it will give a KICK START to your project.

Here, you do have an area for examples. If you want, I can make suggestions for such default examples that could help in so many conditions. But then you need to be ready to make generelized coding for default examples.

Would you like to accept my suggestion for the dropdown and work with me? I would be thankful.

Hi,

Right now I'm focusing on creating plugins for the most common Javascript libraries and PHP frameworks.
I'd be very happy to provide you with the necessary help if you decide to write your own plugin. It is easy, and there are many plugins in the github repo you can start from.

Regards