Topic: Ed's "Development - Maybe" Announcement

Ed, couldn't reply on the announcement board, so posting here.

Firstly Ed, thanks for keeping the flame burning with your support on these forums. I haven't posted that often, but the forums are a great resource for anyone trying to get started with xajax.  I've been using xajax for 5+ years now (in a large local government council, UK), and would struggle without it. Not sure if there are any alternatives as easy as xajax - haven't looked that much.

Anyone new looking at xajax and looking at these forums would assume it's dead, as forum posts are infrequent and the last "final" release was 2009, and version .6 beta hasn't progressed for 3 years or so. So, would be great to see more communication from the  developers.

My initial concern at the moment, is if a new PHP or Browser version is released which is incompatible with XAJAX 0.5.

Agree, that it would be great to see 0.6 be final. It's too risky for some developers to use "Beta" versions of software for live applications, even though it's just a label. If I did have a major problem with an app, and it was due to using a beta version, it wouldn't look too good. Only this week I downloaded 0.6 to see if JSON would resolve a problem I was having and it did. One of the biggest problems I get, is passing "funny" characters through XML. e.g. Curly quotes from MS word, and accented characters. But can't use it on the live site yet.

Feature wise, also agree - I think it's fine as is - it does what I want it to do. But, that's my level/experience. Other people will have different requirements.

One request though -  I use the ModalWindow plugin for some sites, and as far as I can see, there's no link to download now. Would be great is this was "built-in" to 0.6. I know there are plenty of alternatives out there though - not always straight forward integrating xajax.

I guess it's hard for the developers to gauge how much xajax is used - there could be plenty of developers out there like me, happily using it without the need for support and forum posts.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Ed's "Development - Maybe" Announcement

Hi Jon,

Not sure why you couldn't post in the announcements area. I'll look into it.

Thanks for your input. I certainly understand your and others concern about the release of a new PHP or browser that is imcompatible with 0.5 or 0.6. That's probably the biggest concern we all have...

I'll refer this post to the developers.

Thanks again,

Ed

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Re: Ed's "Development - Maybe" Announcement

Thanks Ed,

I had no permission to post a reply.

Another issue i've noticed with the forum, is emails aren't being sent. I couldn't reset my pasword yesterday, although remembered in the end. Also, error message after I posted - assume it's sending an email notification. I guess no new users can register and users can't reset their passwords. Error message is:-

Unable to send e-mail.
Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message reported by the SMTP server: "535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6 "