Topic: Right way to start

I have written reasonably complex xajax scripts and so far have had pretty good luck with it, sometimes dodging or working around issues. This time I have hit a wall by trying to create a dropdown with selections filled from a DB, and then on the selection of that dropdown I propagate a DIV and grab more data from the DB to build a list and populate a Google map. Where I'm running into a problem is that I want the dropdown to refresh every 15 minutes (set to 2 minutes for testing so I don't have to wait) and I want the dropdown to keep the selected position (value) after the update. In making the selection, I have tried creating a global variable both inside and outside of the class (just in case) but never able to update the value. I then tried a Session variable and store the selected value there with no success.

I downloaded PHPEdit so I might step through the code, but outside of the PHP code, I can't seem to debug the xajax script.

Is my approach to doing this wrong?

I understand local vs global variables in C# and PHP but this one has me stumped.

Will be happy to post code if that helps.

Re: Right way to start

Rick,

You should be able to store the value in a session variable. Is the session expiring? This is the kind of thing sessions are made for.

I would like to look at your code if you post it.

Ed

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Re: Right way to start

edrobinson wrote:

Rick,

You should be able to store the value in a session variable. Is the session expiring? This is the kind of thing sessions are made for.

I would like to look at your code if you post it.

Ed

Don't give up on me. Another project jumped ahead of my own personal items. I'm trying to break it down into 3 parts to see if I can more easily identify the problem. The first part seems to be ok now with a little adjusted code. As soon as I can I will post as much as I can to see if you or others could give me pointers on how not to write my self into a corner.

Thanks in advance.

Rick