Topic: Documentation needs some serious work

The xajax online documentation, in particular the reference section, was originally well thought out and is helpful to the point at which without it, xajax would be unusable for me. Nonetheless, it's like an old abandoned house. Rats have gotten in and gnawed on the furniture and here and there windows and doors are boarded up. The comments in various sections of the website display many MySQL errors, and spammers have gotten in and posted stuff which is prominently displayed on important pages of the website. I recently tried to post a helpful comment on the  DOCS & TUTORIALS » API DOCS » xajax_core » xajax.inc.php » xajax » configure page and it appears to have gone into the Cosmic Bit Bucket. Most of the posts and comments are nearly six years old. It's no wonder that people in decision making positions are queasy about the viability of xajax going forward since it has all the appearance of an abandoned project - which is a pity since it's one of the best, if not THE best API out there for developing AJAX functionality on PHP-enabled websites. xajax is included in many standard Linux distributions such as Debian and Ubuntu, as well it should be.

The PHP documentation website (http://www.php.net/docs.php) is a good example of a reference website that really works well. In particular, every page of documentation contains vetted user comments which are often VERY helpful. Community support is very important in keeping any open source project alive, and in the case of xajax, the code is mature and works quite well. It's only the website and documentation that appears to have been abandoned.

I would help if I could, but the website needs to be made functional with regard to user feedback. Comments should work, spam should be removed, and system errors such as the numerous MySQL errors posted instead of comments should go away.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I think that putting the documentation and website in order is very possibly more important than pushing updates on the code base. I'm willing to help, if I can, of course.

Re: Documentation needs some serious work

This is a long standing gripe with which I fully agree. I have used xajax since the earliest releases and feel really comfortable with it but someone coming across it for the first time is likely to write it off even with all of the example code here on the forums. You are correct that it is "one of the best, if not THE best API out there for developing AJAX functionality."

I am retired but still maintain one or more xajax'ed sites. I have attempted to do some documentation a few times and failed misserably.

Perhaps if a few of us got together and collaborated using something like Github, or some other tool set, we could produce something worthwhile.

Anyone interested leave messages here and we can get together after the new year and try to whip up some decent docs for xajax.

Ed

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.

Hi Guys,
i will help about the documentation about the xajax.

thanks,

I have created a github repository (Xajax-Docs) for our attempt at documentation.

I put on a brief readme and an overview file.

Guess we best decide on a format. Open to suggestions...

Ed

If you ever stop learning you may as well dig a hole, crawl in and pull the top over yourself.